Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Visiting Mom at Work (Happy Mother's Day!)


I'm proud of my mom, and I think she has been a good example and an inspiration to many, myself included.  She didn't graduate from high school, but got a GED and then started nursing school when I was about 10.  She became an RN but didn't stop there.  A few years ago she decided to go back to school to become a Nurse Practitioner (and she did NP schooling while working full time, wow!)  Now she is working as a Nurse Practitioner at Essentia Health of Duluth.  She does psychiatric nursing for kids with behavioral and neurological problems. 
A couple of weeks ago I was able to visit my mom at this job that she's been working in for about 6 months now.  I rode into town with her in the morning and then was going to drop her off and use the car for the day and pick her back up at 5, so I walked with her to see her office and know where I needed to find her again at 5. She has to park in a ramp a bit far from her office. The medical center takes up at least 3 city blocks, and its all connected by skywalks. It was a maze, and I was concerned that I wouldn't find my way back to the right parking ramp again.  Somehow I did, but then at 5 when I went to pick her up I got pretty lost (and I didn't have a cell phone).  I knew that I needed to go up to the 5th floor, but when I did I found myself in the maternity section.  I asked someone how to get to neurology, and they said it was on the 8th floor.  Hmm, I really thought I was supposed to go to the 5th floor, but maybe I was wrong.  So I went up to 8 and it was neurological surgery or something.  I figured out that I wasn't in the right building, so I went through another skywalk and up to the 5th floor in that building and found my mom. :)

Mom's office has nice big windows with a view of Lake Superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment