Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2015

we're home! and we're hot!

We were so excited to get home yesterday afternoon.  As soon as we got to the outskirts of town and started recognizing buildings we couldn’t stop smiling.  When the gate to our house was opened our dog barked at us for a few seconds but quickly changed to doing a happy dog dance when he realized who we were.  The people staying in our house welcomed us with a clean, dust-free bedroom (which, only a day later is already coated in a good layer of dry-season dust) and one of my favorite meals: Atchike and fish.
As I write this it is Saturday evening at 6pm.  It is over 100 outside, and over 90 in the house.  I just looked at the weather forecast for the week, and the daily highs for the week ahead are between 104-109 degrees, and the overnight lows are down to 80-82 degrees.  It stays hotter than 80 inside though because the brick walls absorb the heat of the day and keep us baking inside at night.  Thankfully we have an air conditioner unit in our bedroom, so we can use it at night to sleep.  Because it is expensive to run, we usually only use it when we just couldn’t sleep otherwise, but that is the case right now!  It was 97 degrees in our bedroom before we turned on the A/C to sleep last night.  The A/C cooled it down by 11 degrees so we could sleep.  I am not sure how we can find 86 degrees to be a comfortable temperature for sleep when we’ve been sleeping in 65-70 degrees for the last 6 months.
Maybe it’s because we are pretty exhausted in dealing with jetlag and the heat and the whole adjustment of being back here.

I’ve been trying to get the suitcases unpacked, but I am unpacking them just to tuck a lot of the stuff away into storage for the next 2 months.  And then I need to repack a new suitcase!  I will be home for a week and then I’ll spend the rest of May and all of June in Bamako teaching at the English school that I taught at when we lived in Bamako.  The school really needed more teachers as several teachers are just leaving on their furloughs.  There are some short term people coming at the end of June who will take over the classes that I’ll start teaching.  There is also a house for me to live in very close to the English school.  It is empty for May and June since my colleagues are traveling.  Our house and our dog are being taken care of by a lovely family and they need to stay until the end of the school year at the end of June.  So a lot of details worked out great for me to be able to go teach English now just as we’ve returned to Mali!  Jean-Patrick will see me in Bamako before and after a trip that he will make to Senegal to see medical clinics there.  So we have a couple more months of unsettledness, but I am enjoying the adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment