Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

"home" in Minnesota

 I've been "home" in Minnesota for almost 4 weeks now.  Wow, how did that much time go by already?!  I write "home" in quotes like that because I really feel that Mali is my home now.  I haven't actually lived in MN for about 7 years. (I've been in Mali about 3 years, but I lived in California before Africa)

So the questions I am asked a lot now are: 1) what have I been doing, 2) when will I go back to Mali,  3) how is JP, and 4) how are things going in Mali. 
Here are the answers: 1) stuff, 2) I'm not sure, 3) fine, and 4) not so good. 
Ok, I guess I could give a little more information in my answers.  For now I'll work on answering #1: What have I been doing?

The very first thing I did when I arrived was to enjoy a sunny warm mid-April walk with my dog Rascal.  It was over 70 degrees and I was happy to see green grass and throw the ball for him in the park.  Two days later I woke up to see that it was snowing.  Thanks Minnesota.  Its been pretty crazy like that ever since - one day I can go out in a tshirt, the next I wear a hat and 4 layers. 
I have been trying to get outside (even when its cold) with my dog everyday.  And I've seen lots of friends - old and new.  People have been so encouraging to me; I can't even count how many people have come up to me and said that they have been praying for me and JP and Mali. 

I've had time to go to the library, sort through my things that remain in my mom's basement, chat with my grandma, bake some bread, go to special prayer and praise services, and shop at thrift stores.  I've been keeping busy with this and that, nothing monumental, but its been enough to give me some good things to think about besides my husband an ocean away and the upheaval in Mali. 

The photos were taken from a window of the hotel I stayed at in Minneapolis a few weeks back.   My mom had a conference to attend for her work and I went along to enjoy the hotel pool and some quiet time to myself.  (yes, that white thing is the Metrodome)

No comments:

Post a Comment