Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

dog school

One of my English students mentioned that his dog is at dog school.  Huh?  Dog school?  Here in Mali?  I wouldn't have imagined that there was such a thing here. 
When I got my dog in the states I took him to obedience classes; a couple hours a few nights a week for a few weeks.  But the dog school that my student took me to visit is something quite different.  The dogs live at the school for many months, but my student was picking up his dog to take it home for a weekend visit.  He was going to bring it back on Sunday night. 
The dog school is within a large police/military compound in town.  The top picture shows the rooms the dogs are kept in, two to a room.  It seemed clean enough, like they hose the place down regularly, but it smelled pretty nasty over there.  The dogs are mostly German Shepherds and mixes of Malian dogs with German Shepherds.
The bottom picture shows one of the trainers giving a demonstration with one of the dogs.  Usually the dogs stay in their rooms during the hot hours of the day.  They do training early in the morning and after sunset.  But they made an exception for us and showed off what the dog could do.  It was mostly just sit, down, stay, come kinds of tricks, but we were shown that the dog will obey voice and/or hand commands. 
I've never seen police officers on duty with dogs here, but it seems like that is what most of the dogs were being trained for.  But my student is an accountant, so I guess the school is open to anyone ready to pay to have their dog trained. 



No comments:

Post a Comment