Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Party at English School

After 3 months of English classes and some big final tests we celebrated the end of the semester on May 4th at English School.  All of the students who had sufficient attendance in class passed their final tests (written and oral) and were awarded completion certificates. 
It was a really fun morning to celebrate our accomplishments.  I didn't get a certificate but I felt like it was a bit of a graduation for me too, I made it through teaching my first 2 classes!  And it was even fun and I'm ready for more!

One of the teachers made the fabulous cake, and besides looking amazing it tasted great. 
The different colored tied up bags are frozen juices.  The red is bissap, a common drink here made by boiling some kind of hibiscus flowers, the orange is orange flavored juice, and the white is pinapple/coconut.  We were talking about ideas for the party and I said frozen juices would be nice (these are often handed out at weddings and parties) and I was put in charge of making that happen.  I thought I could order them from some lady, but I wound up making them myself.  To enjoy one of these frozen juices in a plastic bag we bite a little hole in a corner and drink what melts or kind of bite frozen bits out.  Its like a popsicle but less messy.
I made some good connections with some of these students.  Many of them will be continuing in their English studies at the school, so though I won't be teaching the same students next semester I will likely see them around.  We have 5 levels they can take.  I taught levels 1 and 3 and that is what I will do again when we start the new semester next week. 
 

1 comment: