Pages

Friday, June 9, 2017

village wedding

There was a big wedding that I attended in a village on April 29.  One of my colleagues got married with a woman who works at the hospital in town.

I was able to ride with some of the staff of the hospital.  I left the house at 6am and got home around 6pm - that's a long day!  It was a 3 hour drive each way; one hour of paved road and then 2 of bumpy, curvy, dusty dirt.
The wedding took place outside in the village under big tents.  First the legal mayor's office stuff was taken care of, and then the long musical ceremony began.  Several different choir groups sang and danced.  The speaking was mostly in Bomu and translated to Bambara, but the message was in French and translated.  It was pretty hot and sweaty.  After the ceremony there was food; the normal wedding meal is riz au gras, which is like greasy rice.  We gathered into small groups to sit around communal bowls and eat with hands.  Confession:  I brought my own spoon from home because I hate eating with my hand. 

 Our house-helper is the sister/cousin of the groom.  (she says he is her brother, but they don't have the same biological mother and father, so I'm not actually sure... anyway, he is her close relation)  It was really important to her that I go to the wedding which was held in the village she comes from.  She even talked me into getting the fabric that many wedding attendees would be wearing.

So here are a couple pictures:


No comments:

Post a Comment