Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

kicking and screaming

There wasn't actually any screaming, but I kind of felt like I wanted to scream.  I have just experienced frustration of a sort that I feel a need to write about it to let it all out.
It is the morning.  First I got myself all dressed up in a nice outfit - that is, an ankle length wrap skirt and a matching top sewn from brightly colored and not at all stretchy African cloth.  Then I spent time putting on makeup and doing my hair in the hopes of looking nice for my meeting.  After packing my purse with the long strap that can be worn across the body, I grabbed the key to our motorcycle and locked the door of the house.  This is when the trouble started.  Our motorcycle has a nice little start button (not what you see pictured, I just pulled that off the internet) but it hasn't been working for a while.  So it needs to be kick-started.  However, that is certainly easier said than done while wearing an ankle length non-stretchy skirt and a pair of plastic flip flops, even under normal circumstances.  The motorcycle hasn't been used a lot since JP is out of town, but even if I am not going to ride it I make sure to start it and let the motor run a bit every few days. The last time it was started up, a few days ago, a friend was over so he started it for me.  He commented that it was hard to start and the battery seemed weak.  He did manage to start it though.  So this morning I hiked up my long skirt and tried my very hardest at kick-starting the motorcycle.  Over and over again.  I gave it all my effort.  I think I may have discovered a new exercise routine!  Attempting to kick-start the motorcycle was actually very physically demanding.  And the temperature, even at 10am, was at least 80 degrees, and right now the humidity level is also at least 80%.  So after many minutes of failed attempts I had sweat streaming down everywhere, including my face, making the nice fresh makeup look I had applied only a memory.  The meeting is only a 20 minute walk away, but by this point if I walked I would have been about 30 minutes late.  And I would have gotten there dripping with sweat.  Yuck.  And I was really too frustrated to be able to calmly sit for a few hours in the meeting.  So I went back in the house and took a shower.  I think that the motorcycle just needs a new battery.  I hope that is all it needs.  What I need is to wear a stretchy t-shirt and a pair of shorts while I stay in the house and read a bit, and then maybe I'll even make a cup of tea.  Yes, that sounds calm and soothing. 

1 comment:

  1. catching up on your blog Erin. Sorry for your frustrating day.

    ReplyDelete