Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

home alone

Just 3 days after getting back from our month-long trip to Chad, JP has left me home alone. Ahh! 
He took a bus this morning to the town where we used to live and where we will move back to when he is done with school to do a 45 day internship for his schooling.  A few months ago when he told me that he'd have to do an internship during his school break, I heard "45 days" and calculated that it would be about 6 weeks.  So for months I had it in my head that JP would be gone for 6 weeks.  Well, that wasn't right.  There was a bit of misunderstanding on my part and the internship is actually for 9 weeks because he has to do 45 days of work - the work is Monday through Friday, so it will take 9 weeks to get those 45 days in.  When I came to understand this just a week ago, I was pretty bummed out.  JP won't be home until mid-October.  For 2 months I'll be home alone!
I will probably be able to go visit in a few weeks, and he might try to take a day or two off his work so that he can come here over a weekend.  The thing is that its kind of a big trip.  When we traveled there in March the trip took 11+ hours due to road construction and public transport time-wasting issues like sitting at the bus station or the bus stopping for various reasons along the way.  So it won't be possible to see each other very often.
JP will be working at the town hospital, but I'm not quite sure what he will be doing there.  In school he was working on a lot of research and he had to write up a project for collecting data relating to baby malnutrition.  So it is all connected to our past and future work with the Centre Esther and baby malnutrition (I think.)
Just over a year ago we were not together for 3 months when I went to the states after the coup happened and all the white people needed to evacuate the country.  So this won't be as long as that, and we will even get to see each other once or twice during the time apart.  But knowing that doesn't make it feel easier for me today.  JP left this morning and the apartment seems so quiet and empty.  I do have my dog and cat here with me, so I am not really alone, it could be worse.
I guess I should try to be positive and think of all the things that are great about being home alone.  Here are a few:  I get to choose whatever I want to eat for every meal.  I can read in bed with the light on as late as I want.  No waiting for the bathroom.  I really never watch tv (we get 3 lame channels and they're all in French) but if I did I would have absolute control over the remote.  Um, I guess those aren't really all too exciting.  Can you help me think of any others? 

3 comments:

  1. Gonna be tough! Consider a new project to work on? Make a scrapbook of memories of Mali? Or design new activities for English classes? You may have something that will keep you too occupied to dwell on lonely. You'll continue in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying for you Erin. You know my suggestion...dive into those Bambara lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Explore new parts of the city?
    You can hog the bed all night anyway you want!

    ReplyDelete