Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

they do grow up fast

 When we were in Chad 3 years ago, JP's cousin's wife gave birth to a little boy when we were staying at the family's village compound.  The mother had walked a couple miles into town while in labor, given birth at the hospital, and then almost immediately got a ride home on a motorcycle-taxi with newborn in arms.  I think it was the next day I was asked to decide what I wanted to name the baby. They were honoring me as a visitor and new member marrying into the family.    I was to announce the name in a little family meeting the next morning.  I decided to go with a Bible name because the family is all Christians and then I would hopefully be safe in choosing a name they could pronounce.  I also figured that if they didn't like the name I chose they would just give him a 2nd Chadian name and call him by that one.  Well, I named the baby Caleb and they are still calling him Caleb today.  I was pretty excited to get to see the little guy again now 3 years later. 

Maybe it looks like he's not thrilled that I'm holding onto him in the pictures.  Actually he liked me pretty well, we were buddies, but like a lot of 3 year olds he didn't like having to sit still.

No comments:

Post a Comment