Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

getting from here to there

Traveling between the USA and Africa is a long and tiring trip no matter what, but the way I’m doing it this time is a bit special.  When I left Mali in April I went by car with friends to Senegal.  Then I bought a round trip ticket between Senegal and Chicago, and a separate ticket from Chicago to Minnesota because it was so much cheaper than flying direct to MN.  In returning to Mali, I am using the return ticket between Chicago and Senegal and I’ve had to buy two more tickets to connect each end of that.  So I have 3 tickets to get back:  Duluth to Chicago, Chicago to Dakar, Senegal (which has a layover in Washington,D.C.,) and Dakar to Bamako.  This means that instead of checking my bags once and not thinking about them again until my destination, I have to collect them and recheck them in Chicago and Dakar (so 3 times total to check in with my bags for flights!)  It will be a long trip, and of course once I get to Bamako I’ll have another 7 hours on the road to arrive home.  But that will be the next day because I’ll be awfully tired after dealing with about 25 hours straight of travel and a 5 hour time change.
I will leave my mom’s house at 4am on Sunday and if all goes according to plan, I should get home and see Jean-Patrick around 2pm Tuesday.  I’m excited, but I kind of wish I could just skip over all the travel and just suddenly be there.  Oh well, maybe I'll get to see a cool new movie on one of my flights or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment