Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

dry feet and $5

I have 2 random stories of things that I think are odd that you might find interesting.

The first is about my poor feet. Because it is so dry here, my feet are getting nasty and starting to crack and peel. Its hard to put lotion or something on them because that will make even more sand/dirt stick to them when I'm walking around in flip-flops. I have some pumice stones and I got some glycerine that was supposed to help, but these dry feet are unlike anything I've delt with before.
So I'm excited because I have finally come up with a good solution: when my feet become unbearable I slather them with this vaseline-like moisturizer that I have, and then put them in plastic bags, then I put socks over that to hold it all together, and I wear this to sleep in. In the morning my feet are excited to get air again, but look remarkably better. Its weird, but it works.

The second is about $5. One day I was walking in our neighborhood with a friend when some people sitting just outside thier gate started talking to us (actually shouting across the road) they wanted to know where I was from - yeah, they can tell just by looking that I'm not from around here - ha! Anyway, when they heard that I'm American they said they had something to show me. A guy ran in the house and came back with a $5 bill. I wasn't expecting that. They asked what it was worth, I said a little more than 2000 cfa, and that was pretty much the end of it. Until about 2 weeks later when a guy showed up at the base with the $5 and asked if I would buy it from him for the 2000 cfa. I said no problem. Well actually, all I had besides small change was a 5000 cfa note, so I had the guy take that to a little neighborhood shop to buy me a few eggs and when he came back with the change I gave him 2000 cfa for the $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment