Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

by the sea in Togo

Ok, so technically Lomé is on the Bight (bay) of Benin, not the "sea" but close enough, right?  It certainly is much different from landlocked Mali!
We came to Togo primarily to buy a car.  Cars are shipped into the port from Europe and North America.
As long as we were going to be by the sea, and especially because our 6th wedding anniversary was during our trip, it made a lot of sense to spend a few days at the beach enjoying the tropical paradise. (it is absolutely lovely, but I will admit that we stayed in a non-luxury $35 per night hotel and it was safe but surrounded by ghetto shanty towns!)
Here are some pictures from the beach:

 We could see the shipping port from the hotel's private beach.  There's a fishing dock just next to the regular docks, and men go out daily in these little boats to fish.
 Something about gazing out to sea makes one feel very small.  JP put his feet in the water, but saved his swimming for a neighboring hotel's pool.
 Here he is!  JP took swimming lessons in Minnesota when we were last in the states, so now he can swim a bit!  Me, I am like a fish, or a mermaid, or whatever.  I can't remember learning to swim, I think I just always could.  I would never win a race for speed or form, but I could comfortably dog paddle around all day.
 We had the pool all to ourselves.  It is just next to the ocean beach, so we could hear the crashing waves and feel the breeze.  I said it could only be better if we had some drinks in coconuts, and JP jumped out of the pool and found a guy to get us some.  I think they came from the trees right there.  After we drank the coconut water, JP had the guy hack the coconuts the rest of the way open and he ate the inside.  I didn't know that the inside is soft and squishy if the coconuts aren't very old, did you?

 Just about in the center of this picture is me!  I swam a few times in the rough salty water.  I love it!
I like this view!  We made some nice memories by the sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment