Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

first day of school

Remember that butterflies-in-the-tummy feeling you used to have on the first day of school?  Well, that still happens, even when you're the teacher.  Or maybe especially when you're the teacher?

At English school we start a new term 3 times a year!  New students and a first day of class every few months.  Since I teach level 1, I get a whole classroom full of students new to our school and our way of learning English.  I'm probably the first foreign/white/American teacher they've ever had, too.  I have a lot more confidence now in front of all of those staring eyes compared to the first class I taught, but it is still a nervous moment. 
"My name is Eliza.  You can call me "Eliza" or "Teacher" but please do not call me "Sir."  Do you know what "sir" means?" 
I have been called "sir" enough times now that I start my first class with those instructions.  I try to infuse a lot of humor into the first class session, at least enough so that I can get a smile out of every student.  They come into class very serious, ready to learn - which here means probably an authoritarian teacher and not much fun and mostly rote learning, repeating, memorizing.  We have an expectations sheet that is given out and gone over the first day of class.  It contains the requirements for successful completion of the course, but my favorite things on there are: "Making mistakes is part of learning." and "Have fun." 

I really love teaching my students.  Sure there are times that I get tired or frustrated, but most often it is that I am doing what I was meant to do.  I sometimes feel like I am extra alive when I am teaching.  Do you know what I mean?  I guess I also feel that sort of buzzy energy when I am deep into playing piano and singing or if I am engrossed in a creative project (crafting/sewing, etc...) to the point that I lose track of time.  I must not lose track of time when I am teaching, but the point is that these are great moments where I feel most passionate and connected with myself even though its like I've let go, I am fully there in the moment.
A couple episodes stick out in my mind from this new term's first class sessions. 
In one class I instructed the students to move their chairs around and form groups of 3 to do the conversation activities.  After a minute of shuffling, two guys came over to me concerned:  "we are only 2..." they said with unsure looks on their faces.  I deadpanned: "well then, I guess you can't do the activity."  After a few seconds I broke out a big grin and assured them that it wasn't a big deal and they could just work as a pair.  They went back to their chairs giggling.

And then in another class there was an exercise where students had to make "getting to know you" questions.  They wrote several questions to ask the teacher and they each had a chance to ask me 2 questions.  One student asked how old I am.  I explained that we shouldn't usually ask about things like age, weight, or money.  But I said I didn't mind about my age so I would tell them. "I am 34," I said.  Days later I was reflecting back on the previous class session, and suddenly it came to me - I am 33.  I won't be 34 until June.  I gave myself a good laugh with that one.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why Eliza instead of Erin?
    And I totally agree with "getting lost in a creative moment."

    (Grace H was me - not signed in correctly)
    Cheers and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin is really hard for most people to say, and Elizabeth is my middle name, so to a lot of people here I am "Eliza" because it is a name they can recognize and pronounce.

      Delete