Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

at school in Texas

(not me in the photo, but this is what one of the classrooms looks like.  The ESL students are almost all from South Korea.)
 
This past week we had our first teaching practicum for the TESOL school.  (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)  We had to prepare a lesson on a certain topic (mine was on "adventure") and then suddenly we were each taking our turns standing alone in front of a class of ESL (English as a Second Language) students.  When I found out that I'd be teaching so soon I felt really nervous and unprepared at first.  But after thinking about all of the speaking I've had to do in front of much bigger groups, and especially doing teaching in French, I realized that it probably wouldn't be that bad after all.  And it wasn't.  It might have even been "fun" if there weren't teachers and some of my classmates filling out evaluation sheets in the back of the class as I taught.
I have a couple more practice teaching opportunities coming up.  I am quite busy with homework.  I am learning a lot and I'm excited to think about how I might be able to use this in the future. 
I don't think these birdies will be in their nest much longer.  They are on one of the buildings I walk past all the time here, and every time I stop to admire them.  Their momma flys back and forth bringing them something to eat, and I usually try not to get too close as I don't want to get my eyes pecked out by the momma, but I really wanted a picture of them.

1 comment: