Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

a betty crocker moment

Last Saturday we enjoyed eating our first homemade roast chicken. JP went to the place off the side of the road that has cages of live birds and he bought a hen. The sellers killed and plucked it there, and JP chose to leave the feet and head behind - there is the option to take those home too since some people think that those are good eatin'. At home I asked Nyagali to pull out the inside parts that shouldn't be there when we cook the chicken. Some of those pieces were cooked next to the chicken and enjoyed by JP and Nyagali, and the others (such as the intestines) were boiled in a pot and fed to the puppy. I felt like a real cook as I stuffed the bird with onions, garlic, and some herbs and tied its feet together as my recipe instructed.
Even though it turned out really well I don't think we'll be making this too often. It is kind of an expensive meal for us, and for just a little more money we can buy an already cooked rotisserie chicken in town and not go through the time and effort of doing it ourselves. (plus when the weather is hot its yucky to have the oven fired up that long, we can practically do a sauna in the kitchen then!)

Here is Nyagali holding the skinny bird and wondering why I like to take pictures of things like this.Thats the whole thing cut into pieces just before we ate it, not really much meat - I would guess it would take 3 of these chickens to equal the amount of meat of one average roast chicken in the states.
Just to the left of the black plastic spoon you can see the chicken's neck, and at top right are some cooked inside parts, not exactly sure what all. I gladly leave those pieces for JP.

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Erin! Hey, Nyagali and I have matching aprons! :)

    ReplyDelete