Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

i feel like chicken tonight

We are trying to raise chickens, but it hasn't been going that great. We now have 3 chickens left. We had 5 more that haven't made it. They all got sick, and 4 of them I found "sleeping on their sides" - thats what I thought when I found the first one dead, that it for some reason was sleeping on its side! No, it was just dead.
When a chicken is sick and then dies it has to be thrown out. But for some reason there is this idea that if a chicken is sick and you kill it before it dies on its own, its ok to eat. I think this is kind of gross.
I came home the other morning after my early Bambara lesson and noticed that one of the hens wasn't in the coop anymore. I peeked around the corner and saw JP and Martin - the boy who does some gardening for us- they were sitting at the little charcoal grill cooking up the missing hen. She had been sick, and rather than watch her also die, they decided it would be better to eat her now.
A few years ago I would have not been able to handle raising chickens. I certainly would have been upset to see that they were grilling up one of our hens, and I definately wouldn't have eaten any. But time and circumstances change a person I guess. So when JP invited me to pull up a chair and grab a wing or a drumstick, even though it had been a sick hen, I decided that I didn't want to let this rare chance to eat chicken pass me by. And it was delicious.


It is cold season right now and we are hoping that once it gets warmer again we can get more chickens and hatch some chicks and they will do better. For now we are getting a few eggs a week at least.




No comments:

Post a Comment