Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

the varan

When I searched online, I learned that "Varan" is the name of both a fictional Godzilla-like monster and a village in Iran.  But I was looking for a lizard similar to what you see in these pictures. I learned that this "varan" is a kind of monitor lizard.  As there are 73 species of monitor lizards, I couldn't find an image of the exact one I was looking for, but you get the idea from these pictures.
My dog's great passion is lizard hunting.  And we have plenty of lizards in Mali!  In the house there are geckos, and outside there are the regular "dry" lizards that like to do push-ups while sunning on brick walls.  Though Teddy chases lizards incessantly, it is rare for him to catch one.
Yesterday I was outside and I noticed Teddy enthusiastically chasing something back and forth in this alley of dirt that is between the wall that encloses the yard and the wall of the house.  I went over to see and was disturbed to see a SNAKE!  It looked just like a snake!  It even had a long snake tongue that it was sticking in and out out at my dog!  Instead of running away or up the wall like a normal lizard, this snake was sticking it's tongue out at Teddy and staring at him like it was ready to attack.  Oh no, Teddy's going to get bit by a snake!  But then I remembered that snakes don't have legs and feet, and this thing did, so it must not be a snake after all.
Back when I first came to live in Mali, just about 5 years ago now, I lived on the base in community with other single folks.  One day I was horrified to look outside upon hearing shouting and see my now-husband and some friends stoning something to death (it was either a bush rat or a snake but I can't remember which.)  They killed it, and then if I remember right, they were laughing and giving high-fives.  I found this to be so brutal and it left me with a bad feeling.
Fast-forward 5 years and I was shooing my dog away from the snake-like-lizard so that I could hurl rocks and chunks of cement block that I had found nearby.  My rocks weren't that big and my aim wasn't that good, and after a few throws Teddy pounced in and grabbed the thing in his mouth and shook it to death.  "Yay, Teddy!  Good dog! You saved us from the scary snake-lizard!"
Teddy started chewing on the beast, but I didn't think it was a good idea to let him eat it.  I took the tree pruning tool I had been using and scooped up the limp creature with the blade end.  I carried it like that out of our front gate to where there are always a group of men either working (there is a metalsmith shop and a boutique next door) or sitting and drinking tea.  The fellows were there sitting, and they identified the dead snake-lizard as a "varan."  I carried it across the paved road across from the house and chucked it in the ditch.
Later I sent Jean-Patrick a text message saying that Teddy had killed a varan but I didn't let him eat it.  JP's response was "varans are good to eat."  I'm not sure if he meant that they are good for people to eat or for dogs to eat, maybe both. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment