Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Want a chicken?

Before getting out of a village we had visited we pulled over so that the ladies could buy some charcoal (the prices for some things are cheaper in villages than in town.)  This young man was passing by and stopped.  It was pretty strange, but he said that he noticed me and appreciated that I would come to his village, and would I like a chicken? 
Who wouldn't like to have a chicken?
But, really?  I get a chicken from a stranger just because I am white and I happened to be in his village?  Yep.  He also called his mother over to come and meet me. 
The chicken kind of matched my outfit, which was also given to me by a young African fellow (the fabric for the outfit was given to me, I sewed it into clothes myself.)  That was a bit less weird though, a friend who was staying with us for a few weeks gave the fabric to me as a gift.  Have you ever gotten a cool present from a stranger?

No comments:

Post a Comment