Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

yuck and icky

These photos are from my recent trip to Bamako. It was a really good trip and I had my camera in my purse the whole time, so I took pictures of lots of interesting things I saw.

The baby bat was on the top handle part of a ladder-rail for getting in and out of a swimming pool. We went to this really cool restaurant/hotel place and they have a nice pool there. If you buy something to eat you can swim for free. I didn't swim cause it was late and I was tired, but a few of my friends did. And they noticed this tiny bat hanging out on the ladder rail. How weird. I don't know if it fell out of a tree and someone picked it up and put it there or what. It was there the whole time we were there. I think it was going to die though. I see bats here all the time, but in the air flying and not close up like this. Tons of bats live in mango trees (and we have tons of mango trees) and at dusk they start squeeking. It sounds like a swingset that needs oil. So, ok, kind of gross and icky, but kind of cool, at least I found it interesting.

The other picture is dead parrots. This was at a market area that we visited. They are sold, along with other bits and pieces of dead animals, for use in witchcraft and traditional animistic religion - to cast a spell or something. I don't know exactly what they do with the dead parrots, but we found out that you can buy them for about $2 each. I asked the man selling them just out of curiousity. I wonder how much a monkey skull goes for?





No comments:

Post a Comment